Thursday, April 05, 2007

Day +274 : Finally, the countdown is started! (1)

I am fine today. I attended the company monthly meeting today.

As usual, every staff is given a few minutes to present what they have done over the past one month. Since I am a ‘minister without portfolio’ (Blog Day +260) now and have nothing specific to do, I have to find something to talk :-) Fortunately, I already trained myself to talk through writing this blog for the past 277 days, so talking is not too difficult for me even though I have no specific task to do in the company :-)

My boss developed the first version of Esteem alone. It was a Microsoft DOS program. Then in 1997, I joined the company to complete the development of the Microsoft Windows version of the software which we named it as Esteem 5. It took two of us about one year to complete the project. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I left the company to work as a lecturer in a college for two years after that. In 2000, my boss called me back to develop Esteem 6 (EsteemPlus) which two of us took two years to complete. This was the toughest project that we did so far and Esteem 6 is still the major source of revenue of the company now.

In 2003, we started to work on Esteem 7. We setup a development team to handle the development work. This time we redesign and rewrite the software from scratch to overcome certain limitations that the earlier versions carry. After working for about 3 years, I was diagnosed with Leukaemia and forced to leave the development work for more than one year. Fortunately, we had setup the development team and established the groundwork by then, so that the development team could continue the development work without me.

I am very pleased that we are able to fix the launching date of our new software, Esteem 7, on the 7 of July, 2007 :-)

If you are interested to know what we are doing, you can visit our company website here.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: