Monday, January 29, 2007

Day +208

I am fine today. Now continue to talk about herbs…

While I was doing my third cycle of chemotherapy, my fourth sister photocopied a newspaper cutting to me. It told a story about a Leukaemia patient who became very weak certain days after receiving the first dose of chemo drug and his platelet count failed to rise. After drinking Yantuo soup, his platelet raised ‘beautifully’. The conclusion was Yantuo cured Leukaemia and saved his life.

I compared my platelet trend with his and found out that it is quite normal to have such trend. The platelet count was just about to increase at the time he took Yantuo. In other words, if he did not take Yantuo, the platelet count would still increase. Even if Yantuo did help to raise his platelet, how could he claim that Yantuo cured his Leukaemia? Treating Leukaemia is not as simple as maintaining good platelet count!

It can be difficult to cast doubt on this kind of testimony for someone who did not go through this kind of treatment. However, to my youngest sister, she just could not understand my explanation and insisted that I should drink Yantuo soup. She even went all the way to Bentong to bring home the leaves of a big Yantuo tree, dried it and kept it for me.

Due to my sister’s enthusiasm on this leave, I drank Yantuo soup everyday since 3rd cycle of chemotherapy, but the platelet trend was still the same as the previous two cycles of chemotherapy :-( Anyway, I must thank her for taking trouble to prepare the soup for me :-)

I stopped drinking it since the bone marrow transplant.

To be continue and see you next post :-)

2 comments:

M R said...

=)

That's not just a healing process for you, but to your family members (sister). That's the concept of holistic health approach we want tp promote.

The concept came out in 1928, and to explain this concept, this example was from 1978; an euthanasia debate; while treating a dying coma px, instead of overdose with analgesics and let the px die, we continue treating (palliative); although the px remains coma, the doctor does it by treating himself (he may go home and ask whether he has done the right thing or not), he treats the nurses around, the famiy members, the loved one is still being cared about, if allowing the px to stay "alive" is teh best interest.

There are many connections, to those "unscientific" but caring approach. That yandao/ yantao/yantoa or whatever has no therapeutic effect at all, anyone believes in it has a psychological response (once yu take, she becomes relieved and happy, "my bro is gonna get well, yeah?)

=)

David said...

Thank you, Jimmy.

The holistic health approach sounds very true to me :-)

On the herb, I am still searching for a 'working' case.

David