Thursday, January 18, 2007

Day +197

I am fine today.

"Ask David to dig his grave first before doing his bone marrow transplant in UH!" This was a warning message I received from a friend who was receiving treatment in Singapore while I was doing my third cycle of chemotherapy in UH. He was a Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) patient whom I met during my second cycle of chemotherapy in UH. As his condition worsened, he furthered his treatment in Singapore. Unfortunately, he could not make it eventually.

"What is the mortality rate of having bone marrow transplant here?" I asked one of the haematologists in UH. He answered bluntly, "50%." This means every two person who undergoes transplant, one will die. It was very likely that he was joking as we joke quite a lot, but this joke was really 'killing' me :-(

The messages that I received from many people were "Failure! Failure! Failure!" It is very funny that people tend to focus more on failure (negative) than success (positive). Apart from this, I had to face many negative comments about the doctors and facilities in UH. Someone who didn't really understand my disease even advised me not to go for transplant at all.

How did I shield myself from this negative environment? The very first thing to do was to relax and trust my Lord Jesus completely. Do whatever I could do and leave whatever that is beyond my control to Him. His is my pilot, it is definitely my wish to land safely, but if I ‘crashed’, I am very sure I would crash into heaven :-)

See you next post :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear David,

It was really amazing to know your faith and the determination you have to put up to go ahead with the transplant despite all the negative factor. What a good fight! Praise our Lord!

The Star today on N29, reported a boy, Kim Yau who has gone thro the same transplant from an unrelated donor, you understand the best his condition & emontional stage now. Let us pray for his speedy recovery.

warmest regards,
Grace

David said...

Dear Grace,

Yes, I know him. He is a brave boy.

This is our first attempt to perform a unrelated transplant. We must success. I treat this a very meaningful Malaysia-Boleh!

Can you keep the newspaper for me if you have one?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
David

Anonymous said...

Hey, David. Me from the YA forum..

Erm.. are u a doctor?.. cause u said" this is our first attempt to perform a unrelated transplant" ...

anyway.. I really admire ur fight in this cancer...

If u hv the newspaper.. can u blog it ah? ... or jz tell me what day is it.. maybe i can go search for it.. thanks..

-Lawrence-

David said...

Hi Lawrence,

Great to see you here!

No, I am not a doctor. "We" here means "Malaysia". I am a software developer.

You can read the newspaper online at http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/1/19/nation/16618352&sec=nation

I also talked a little bit about this on my Day +198 blog at http://david-healed.blogspot.com/2007/01/day-198.html where a link was provided.

God bess!
David

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the linkie...

Guess I miss that out.. Maybe I din read newspaper enough.. haiz..
Oh.. and do u mind me linking u?

Cause I just did it in my blog.. And hope that people can read out ur experience.. Hope u dun mind ah...

David said...

Lawrence,

I am most happy to have you link into my blog.