Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Day +202

I am fine today. Now continue to talk about my pre-transplant preparation and struggle…

At that time, I came across a Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia (CML) patient who failed to bring her disease under control after two bone marrow transplants. Her husband gave her large dose of LingZhi and Pollen from a MLM health food company. Since she was unable to swallow so many capsules, her husband opened the capsules, extracted the LingZhi powder to mix with water for her to drink. Then he ate all the empty capsules because they are too ‘expensive’ to throw away.

Coincidentally, someone introduced me a ‘magic’ Mangosteen Juice called Xango which is rich in Xanthones. The producer of the juice claimed that “Research shows Xanthones possess potent antioxidant properties that may help maintain intestinal health, strengthen the immune system, neutralize free radicals, help support cartilage and joint function, and promote a healthy seasonal respiratory system.*” You can read more about the product here.

The Xango agent encouraged me to try the juice but my question was, “How do I know it works?” He asked me to monitor my cancer cell count in my blood, but I told him after the chemotherapy, the blood count was normal. This means I could not see any improvement brought by Xango through the blood, if any. So I introduced the Xango agent to the husband of the CML patient that I mentioned above, hoping that the ‘magic’ juice could work as claimed.

That patient was very weak at that time, the Xango agent was so confident that the juice would work. He even asked the husband to “just sit back and relax!”

It was disheartening to learn that this juice, together with the LingZhi and Pollen failed miserably on her. She passed away not long later.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: