Thursday, August 09, 2007

Day +400 : My expectation of a good insurance agent (1)

I am fine today.

I would like to share with you some points that I shared with the insurance agents on the Monday regarding what constitutes a good insurance agent from my or customers perspective.

A good insurance agent should possess the following attributes:

  1. Put customer interest above self-interest
    Never ever persuade customer to terminate an existing policy to buy another ‘better’ policy. In addition to this, the agent has to consider the financial situation of the customer carefully to make sure that they are not overburdened by the insurance premium. “The more you buy, the better it is” only works if the customer affords to bear the premium in the long run. For example, my brother in the home village was persuaded to purchase an insurance which he afforded to pay the first one or two premium only :-( What benefit he got? Nothing, but I am sure the agent profited from it.
  2. Generous in servicing customer
    The agent might not reap profits immediately for being too generous in servicing customer, but it is very likely that he/she will gain profits in the long run. For example, I would not hesitate to refer anyone who would like to purchase insurance to Kuok Chai because he provided generous and excellent services to me in the claim process. I blogged about this on my Day +69 blog.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: