Sunday, August 19, 2007

Day +410 : Life Time Warranty sounds so good, but …

I am fine today.

About three months ago, I purchased an ADSL2+ Modem with Wireless 802.11g Router to connect to broadband internet services. There are so many brands that I could choose, but after very careful consideration, I ended up choosing Belkin. The main reason that I chose Belkin was because it gave Life Time Warranty. But now, I regret making such a decision. Why?

The reason is that the modem failed to connect at the expected upload speed of 512kbps, no matter how I tweak its setting. I adjusted many parameters and even updated the ROM upon advices from Belkin support personnel from Singapore.

The beautiful packaging with “Life Time Warranty and Free Technical Support” printed on it. Click to view a larger picture.
But it achieved a miserable 96kbps of upload speed which should be 512kbps :-( Luckily, I know how to check the speed :-)

Initially, the technical support in Singapore blamed the situation on poor Telekom Streamyx line quality which I refuted easily. This is because all other modems - DLink, ZTE, Prolink – managed to achieve an upload speed of 512kbps. I attached the following screen capture as a proof to them that even China brand could achieve the desired speed.
In the end they allowed me to exchange the existing Belkin modem with a new one. But to my great disappointment, after taking all the trouble to exchange the router modem, the new one behaved exactly as the old one :-(

I have to conclude that Belkin is definitely not a good choice for you especially if your internet line condition is not very good. You might not even realize that you are connected at degraded speed if you don't know how to check the device status.

I got a ZyXEL router modem a few days ago. Though it comes with one year warranty, but it managed to connect at an upload speed of 512kbps :-) What is the use of having life time warranty if the device could not perform up to standard?

See you next post :-)

No comments: