Saturday, July 19, 2008

Day +745 : “You should take some not-so-clean food.” (2)

I am fine today. Continue from yesterday…

His mother came to visit me with another auntie February this year as I blogged on my blog Day +602 : Dinner with three great mothers.

He told me during his last follow-up in Singapore, the doctor say to him, “You have to take some not-so-clean food.”

We all wanted to eat clean food. What is the justification of a doctor asking a cancer patient to have not-so-clean food?

After the bone marrow transplant, the patient’s blood and thus the immune system is rebuilt from scratch. Since the system is new, it is “innocent”. Slowly introducing not-so-clean food serves as a mean to train the immune system to be smarter.

I don’t know if this explanation is accurate but if it indeed works in this way, then it is also reasonable for the patient to take some not-so-healthy food which I have been doing it for quite sometime :-)

You see, I have to always find some excuses to take unhealthy food :-)

See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This reminds me of something I remember asking my Dr. when I was in my first year post transplant.
The question was, does a dog initally get sick after eating its own poop, and then build up resistance over time. Well the answer was yes to my surprise. Well this explains some of the resturants I've eaten in.

David said...

Thanks for the comment and nice to meet you, rob. What restaurants?