Friday, July 18, 2008

Day +744 : “You should take some not-so-clean food.” (1)

I am fine today.

During last follow-up, I met a friend who did his non-sibling bone marrow transplant in Singapore. I first met him in the ward while I was doing my 2nd round of chemotherapy in the hematology ward in UH.

He was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia at a date much earlier than me. Then he went through chemotherapy treatment but relapsed some time later. Without much choice, he went for another chemotherapy treatment but he experienced another relapse. In the end he opted for bone marrow transplant.

He failed to find a match among his siblings, so it was not possible for him to do a related bone marrow transplant. It was very lucky that the doctor managed to find a match for him in China through international bone marrow donor database.

He then raised almost half a million Malaysian Ringgit and went to Singapore to do non-sibling bone marrow transplant. The transplant was a success. He is now doing very well. Unlike me, he does not need to take any medicine now. However, he needs to have insulin injection everyday as he has diabetics, probably as a side effect of some medication during the treatment.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: