Monday, June 23, 2008

Day +719 : Follow-up & fever again :-(

My Blood Count Today: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 139[144] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 221[230] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 5.6[11.1] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 3.36[10.20] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
ALT = 155[59] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 104[21] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 142 (Normal 15-85)

I am fine today.

My blood result is normal but liver enzymes readings are two or three times beyond the normal range :-) Doctor suspected the elevated readings are caused by GVHD. In order to prevent the liver enzymes readings from increasing further, the Prednisolon (steroid) dosage is maintained at 30mg (6 tablets) per day. Doctor will reassess the situation during the next follow-up which is scheduled two weeks later.

In addition to the liver, doctor also suspected that my lungs might also be affected by GVHD. In order to confirm this, two tests were arranged: Respiratory Function Test on 30 June and lung CT Scan on 9 July.

I am having mild fever for the whole day. Fortunately, when I saw the doctor in the afternoon, the body temperature was normal; else I might be admitted again. When I came home from the follow-up, I had fever again with headache.

I took Panadol in the evening and later my brother Richard came to massage for me with Axe Brand Medicated Oil (斧标驱风油). After that, I cover myself with two blankets and about one hour later, I sweated heavily. The fever was gone and I felt much better. Amazing! This traditional massage really work :-)

I hope the fever would stop from coming back again.

See you next post :-)

No comments: