Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day +713 : Genting Highland + Durian = infection?

I am fine today.

When I was first admitted to the hematology ward on the Sunday night, the first question the nurse asked is “Where have you been?”

“Genting Highland,” I told them.

So they have the impression that I might get infected while having holiday in Genting Highland. But one thing I didn’t tell them was that I completed the trip exactly one week ago before I developed fever. Due to the long gap between the visit and the time I was having fever, it is very unlikely that the infection was caused by the trip.

However, one thing I must admit is that the day before I was having fever, I did eat durian with a visitor from Hong Kong :-)

Then the question is if durian caused the infection? The only way to verify this is to eat durian again and see how it goes :-) What do you think?

“Even if you don’t go to Genting Highland, you might also catch fever,” that is what my doctor said. I think his comment is very true as many staffs in the office also down with some kinds of sickness around the time I was admitted to the hospital.

The only difference is that my immune system is compromised with drugs - Ciclosporin and Prednisolon (steroid) to combat GVHD. Thus, the only way to treat the infection is to use iv antibiotics and this has to been done in the ward :-(

See you next post.

No comments: