Sunday, June 08, 2008

Day +704 : Admitted

I am fine today.

I consulted Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) nurse about my condition in the morning. The nurse strongly advised me to go to trauma (emergency) unit as soon as possible. If today is not the weekend, I could go straight to the hematology ward as there will be hematologist on duty.

I reached UH at about 12:30pm, got to see the doctor at 1:00pm. Full blood count and chest x-ray were done.

At about 4:00pm, the doctor admitted me to the observation ward in the trauma unit, fixing a branula for intravenous (iv) drip.

At about 8:00pm, Dr. Harris, the hematologist on standby today came to assess my condition. He admitted me to the hematology ward.

I felt very unwell as I had fever (39.4˚C) and I was not allowed to take Panadol before seeing the hematologist. After seeing Dr. Harris, I was given Panadol. The fever subsided and I felt a lot better :-)

The chest x-ray was clear, the platelet count is 135 (normal 150 - 450) and the white blood count is 11 (normal 4 -11). According to doctor, some viral infection might bring down the platelet count.

Started iv antibiotic Tazacin and increase the Prednisolon (steroid) dosage from 5mg (1 tablet) alternate day to 10mg (2tablet) per day.

See you next post :-)

No comments: