Thursday, February 28, 2008

Day +603 : Pray for a friend (1)

I am fine today.

I received an urgent message yesterday morning.

“Teh admitted situ serious, pls pray for him.”

Immediately I returned call and his sobbing wife told me that her husband was having high fever for the past few days and his blood counts - haemoglobin, platelet and white blood - were extremely low. It seemed that his body’s blood manufacturing mechanism had failed to produce blood. The very low white blood count rendered him immune-less and thus the infection and fever.

I met Teh in the haematology day care unit in UH early 2006. He was one of the most faithful readers of my blog. He once told me that he was addicted to reading this blog; he would felt something was missing if he didn’t read my blog in a day.

Teh was having a blood disease called Myeloproliferative Disorder (MDP) which is non-cancerous but with a potential of transforming to Leukaemia. The symptoms of the disease include elevated white blood count and low Haemoglobin count (anaemia). As a result, he needed to do follow-up and to have blood transfusion regularly in the day care unit.

I went to visit him yesterday afternoon. He had difficulty controlling his mind and became very emotional sometimes. He would keep saying the same words. For instance when he met me, he would said, “David Ting, David Ting, David Ting…”

I read Bible verses for him and prayed for him. When I asked him say “Hallelujah!” which means “praise the Lord,” he said, “Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! ...”

I called him this morning and I was so delighted to hear him answering the phone. He could talk normally today! He said he would like to consult me how to make Yogurt and he would need a lot of advice from me when he does his bone marrow transplant later :-)

To be continued and see you next post :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Simple and sweet. I’m thinking of starting another blog or five pretty soon, and I’ll definitely consider this theme. Keep ‘em coming!.