Monday, December 31, 2007

Day +544 : Follow-up

My Blood Count Today:
Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 148[144] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 246[168] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 11.1[12.6] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 7.104[9.072] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
ALT = 57 [152] (Normal 30 – 65)
AST = 24[78] (Normal 15-37)
GGT = 165[208] (Normal 15-85)
ALP = 103[99] (Normal 50-136)

I am fine today.

As usual, I went to UH as early as 6:15am this morning to draw blood for the afternoon follow-up. The blood test result is very encouraging. The liver enzyme levels improve very much, and for the first time since I experienced GVHD, the ALT level falls within normal level :-) Now the only liver enzyme level that is beyond the normal range is GGT. For the blood count, the white blood count reduced from 12.6 to 11.1, which is almost within the normal range. It is very likely the elevated white blood count is caused by infection. The platelet count increased from 168 to 246, a 46.4% increase, but it should not be a problem as it is still well within the normal range.

If the liver function maintains or improves further during next follow-up which is 3 weeks later, doctor will cut down my daily Prednisolon (steroid) dosage to 10mg (2 tablets).

My liver function trend (Click the graph to get a larger view)
It is quite interesting to note that whenever I eat prawn, the liver function improves. The prawn in the graph shows those two incidents that coincide with prawn eating :-) When I had dinner with my course-mates last night, one of them was surprised to see me eating prawn. “You still eat this “poisonous” food? (这么毒的东西你也吃啊!) ” he commented. I told him my body might need some “poison” too :-) However, I have to clarify that I seldom eat prawn.

Prawn or not prawn does not really matter, it is the grace of God that counts. Eating superior health food might not always bring good health without the grace of God, and with the grace of God, occasionally eating "unhealthy" food might not necessary spoils our health :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: