Thursday, December 13, 2007

Day +526 : Sibu is flooded

I am fine today.

While I was on the way to Bintagor town yesterday, my second sister Sie Kiong called to warn me not to go to Sibu because many areas in Sibu were flooded. Many cars were trapped in the flood and part of the the Lanang route which we always use to travel to Sibu was also flooded.

The flood worsens today in some areas with flood water as deep as “one person (5 metres) ” height :-) Many houses and shops were flooded and this incurred huge losses to people here :-)

It is perfectly fine for me not to travel to Sibu for the next few days as we have plenty of things to do in kampong. The only thing that I need to adjust is to find an alternate place to do my blood test which is originally planned to be done in Sibu. Most probably I will go to Sarikei for the blood test as my third sister told me there is a Pathlab there.

We went fishing again today and the score:

Sie Heng : 5 fishes
Heng Hew: 3 fishes
David : 2 fishes
Daniel: 1 fish

A type of fish that we catch when the tide is low A catch of the day
A mud skipper at the stream bank – not many in the town get to see it. It manages to hog on the water surface :-)
My niece in the kampong said that her sister who once stayed with us in KL told her that I cook delicious spaghetti. So I demonstrated to her the way I prepare spaghetti sauce this morning and everyone had spaghetti for breakfast.

In the afternoon, I tried a new dish called Lemon & Honey Meaty Spare Ribs (西柠蜜汁加厚骨). The outcome was not very satisfying because I could not find imported yellow lemon here. The local green lemon that I used as a replacement gave a bitter taste :-)

The dish.The dish (zoom in)
The local greeen lemon
See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only cars but only racing motorbikes. Strange for these motorbikes to be stranded for the nights and nobody disturbs them. The owners also have the confidence that their motorbikes would not be stolen. Flood brings with it diseases. So do take good care of yourself.

David said...

I think they had no choice too.

Thank you for the reminder. I have to be extra careful when I go to Sibu.

David