Saturday, December 15, 2007

Day +528 : Fruits at home town

I am fine today.

I would like to introduce to you some fruits that we have in here.

The Pomelo (柚子) – very tasty and juicy, better than the Pomelo in West Malaysia. My third sister purchased 20kg for us to consume in the kampong and I plan to bring at least 50kg to KL after the holiday. It costs RM1.80 per kg only.

The delicious Pomelo
A heap of Pamelos
There are many coconut trees surround my kampong house. They were planted by my brother Richard many years ago.

No one in the kampong has the motivation to pluck the coconuts. So the fruits are left to ripe, dry and drop :-) I took the initiative yesterday to harvest the coconuts and we managed to pluck 53 coconuts from 3 coconut trees. There are still many coconut trees left unharvested.

The coconut tree.
Everyone worked as a team to pluck the coconuts.
I was working very hard to chop off the bunch of coconuts - more than 10 fruitsJoseph was given a chance to climb the ladder
It was Daniel's turn now
The harvest - 53 coconuts
Coconut - zoom in
I cut open 8 fruits after the laborious harvest - really tiring :-(
The coconut water was very sweet – as sweet as the one found in the town with sugar added
The flesh especially the young one was delicious too. As the reason given to me for not harvesting the coconuts was that they were not interested to eat the fruit, it was very strange to see my family members in kampong enjoyed the fruit so much after I cut open for them :-) This led me to suspect that they are "lazy" to pluck the fruit instead of not interested to eat the fruit :-)

I purchased the following fruits at the town market this morning.

“Maowan” – didn't eat this type of fruit for more than 20 years
Local Olive – not available elsewhere except Sarawak. Just soak it in the warm water for a few minutes before serving with soy sauce and sugar.
Cempedak – RM4.00 only per piece. It weighs more than 4kg! I used to pay RM4.50 a kg in KL.
Soursop – RM1.50 a kg only :-)
Kedondong or “Mangolong” – 6 pieces for RM1.00
See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David
Your trip back home is so interesting. Enjoy the good time.

David said...

Yes, Seu Chuong. The kampong life is good :-)

God bless.