Monday, March 05, 2007

Day +243 : Friend & Foods

I am fine today.

I mentioned on last Friday’s blog (Day +240) that I had a long chat with a retired teacher who was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia (AML). He went for a few rounds of chemotherapy but unfortunately did not respond well to the treatment.

The family went to see natural therapist who proposes the use of papaya enzyme called Papain to destroy cancer cells. The principle of this type of treatment was covered in various local Chinese newspapers. You can read one of them here.

After he was diagnosed with the disease, the family controlled his diet strictly. “I never take oat meal for 60 over years but now they force me to take it,” he complained. “I used to drink two cups of coffee per day and have fried Mee or Kuitiao for breakfast but now they ask me to eat bread which I seldom eat before,” he continued. Apart from this, no egg, no dairy product and no meat at all :-(

He was about to discharge on that day. He and his wife asked me what diet I took now. I said I take all type of foods but try to eat more vegetables and fruits. I also shared with him my lifestyle as what I described in my Day +74 blog and told him never regret of what diet he took before. While others disease might be related to diet, Leukaemia might not be related to diet at all.

At one point of the talking, he was almost begging his wife to let him have fried egg and fish. “Can-lah, can-lah, no need to deep fry them, just fry with a little bit of oil,” he said to his wife.

Looking at his skinny body, I am really pity at him. While we are still not very sure whether the causes of Leukaemia is due to diet, the strict diet his family imposed on him already causes him loose too much muscle and at the same time deprives him the privilege to enjoy food at the last stage of his life:-(

See you next post :-)

No comments: