Friday, March 02, 2007

Day +240 : Happiness is a habit

I am fine today.

Today marks 8 months of my post bone marrow transplant. I went to hospital to remove the stitches on my abdomen in the morning. The stitches were left due to skin biopsy done on 21 February 2007 (4th day of Chinese New Year) to confirm that the rashes were caused by GVHD.

As usual, I took the opportunity to visit patients who were receiving treatment; listened to them and shared my experiences with them. I had a long chat with a retired teacher who failed chemotherapy and was admitted to the ward due to fever and mouth ulcers two weeks ago. The chat was mainly centered on foods :-) I will share with you what we talked later.

When I wanted to come home, I see something incredible as follow in the car park :-)


A car blocked three cars including mine :-( I notified the hospital guards. They advised me to be ‘sabar dulu’ (patience first) and there was no guarantee that they would be able to remove the car for me. This will definitely made me returning home late and even pay addition parking fee :-(

Was I upset or angry? No. If I did, the circumstances would control my emotion and I would lose twice; firstly, lost of time and secondly lost of health due to negative emotion :-) I said to my self, “If the guards failed to remove the car for me, worst comes to worst I return to the ward to enjoy talking to the patients there.”

I talked nicely to the guards and observed carefully the way they handled the situation. In the end they performed something incredible to me; pushing the car away just sufficient for my car to come out from the parking lot. I watched and took photos of the event happily :-)

Someone forwarded a story to me a few days ago saying that “Happiness is a habit” which I fully agree with. In whatever situation, no matter how difficult it is, we could always secure a position to view it happily :-) As what Bible says, "A cheerful heart makes good medicine," (喜乐的心乃是良药) I guarantee this habit is good for you :-)

While I shake hands with the guards to appreciate their great effort in removing the car, they kept reminding me to delete their photos from camera because they didn’t want their photos to appear on newspaper :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: