Thursday, February 08, 2007

Day +218

I am fine today.

My former maid called me a few days ago to introduce one of her relatives to work for me. This relative of her worked here as a maid before. She also explained to me that her boy friend prevented her from coming here to fulfill her contract until July this year. Because of this, she found someone to replace her.

Now the question is how to bring her relative here? They are from Nusa Tenggara Timur (NTT) which is a very rural area. I called the former maid agency to enquire if there is anyway to let the maid come here through tourist visa and then later apply work permit for her. Initially, the agency staff said it is possible but based on her earlier experience with me in handling my first maid, she is afraid I might not want to do it because I am a Christian.

We got our first maid from the agency. This maid lost her zeal to work and pretended to be sick not long after working with us. Two times I brought her to hospital but doctor could not find anything wrong with her. Seeing her so weak and out of sympathy, we served her instead of she served us. You see, we fell prey to her trick and became her maid; a maid’s maid :-(

In the end we brought the maid back to the agency. Her trick was exposed instantly and of course, we did not want this maid anymore. What is the best way to handle this situation?

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: