Thursday, February 04, 2010

Day +1310 : Is your family safe?

I am fine today.

My neighbour’s house almost caught fire a few weeks ago. The main power supply cable that was connected to the fuse box was overheated and caught fire suddenly. Another neighbour came to the rescue in the critical moment, putting out the fire with a fire extinguisher. The outcome could be disastrous without the fire extinguisher as there was no alternate way to put out the fire.

The incident was reported to the resident association and the immediate action was to arrange for the purchase of fire extinguishers and infra-red scanning of fuse box for all residents.

I purchased two 2kg fire extinguishers through this exercise. Have you purchased any?

Aaron with the two fire extinguishers.
Each one cost RM65. It is of the dry powder type.
See you next post :-)

4 comments:

Hee Kang said...

David,

You should place the extinguishers where you can access very easily NOT inside the box or closet or somewhere you need to figure it out when in need.

I have one bought 2 years ago. My wife then stored it inside the cabinet. I said the purpose of the extinguisher is to rescure us when there is emergency of fire. So I decided to put it at the mirror table of my Master Bed Room so that even at night I still can grab it rather easily. We never know when we need it but of course we pray that we don't need it.

David said...

Dear Hee Kang,

Thanks for the reminder.

I plan to attach them on the wall where it is readily accessible. I just need to fix the rubber housing to the wall with screws.

Yes, we pray that we never have to use it.

David

Lucius Phang said...

Probably the best solution is to figure out why the cable was overheated. You may place 10 extinguishers at home but there'll no way to know when it's happening again... Who is going to put out the fire?

David said...

Better than none :-)