Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Day +1190 : Second visit to the durian stall

I am fine today.

We went to eat durian again this evening at the same stall that I mentioned two days ago.

My initial “eating plan” was to eat some D24 first and then tried one Raja Musang (Cat Mountain King or 猫山王) which according to Pure Faith (through his comment on my blog), is really worth to try. As mentioned in my blog, I was quite reluctant to try it, but after the recommendation, I changed my mind.

The reason of not trying was “I am now very satisfied with D24, why should I looking for trouble of getting involved in a type of durian which cost 2.5 times more?” But now the argument is - if the durian is really so good, there is no harm to have a little bit of trouble :-)

However, we were given two big D24 durians which after finishing them, there was no room in our stomach for Raja Musang anymore :-(

The durian seller recommended us to come again for Raja Musang, which is extraordinary good. We were also introduced to D2 and ZhuJiao(竹脚D??) costing RM6 and RM8 per kg respectively. They told me that ZhuJiao is very fleshy with small seed. So if you are very hungry, it is better to start off with this type of durian to be economical :-)

The quality of D24 today is not as good as those on Sunday. I rejected the first three of because of hardened flesh. The fourth one that I accepted was good, but the fifth one got problem again. Anyway, I accepted it as I didn’t feel good to reject so many.

My children were very satisfied with the durian. “This is still the best durian stall I ever visited,” Daniel said.

See you next post :-)

4 comments:

imantulen said...

hahahaaaa.....

eating durians should be a learning experience....

now that you have tried D24, be more adventurous & try other types....

btw, mau shang wang is also known as Raja Kunyit, beside it being called Raja Musang or Musang King by others....

so far, I have tried D2, D24, XO, D88, D98, Raja Kunyit, Marjerin & Thraka... since the season is back again, I must look for Udang Merah & D101 to try....


read this old article:
http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2008/7/31/central/1689081&sec=central

purefaith

David said...

Thanks, Pure Faith.

Yes, it is a learning experience. The article is very helpful.

I have yet so much to learn. It looks like you are ahead of me in so many things :-)

Now at least I know Raja Kunyit, Raja Musang, Musang King are Mao San Won :-)

And also Chook Keok (Bamboo Base - 竹脚) which I referred as ZhuJiao is in fact Thraka :-)

I think I am going to try either one of them this evening - D2, Thraka, or Raja Musang :-)

Based on the article, RM14/kg is a good buy for Raja Musang and now the stall is selling at RM15/kg. Not too far off:-)

David

Pure Faith said...

i noticed that stall last friday when i used the short-cut, but has forgotten about it till i saw your blog entry on it...

hmmmm... must check it out soon...

I prefer the Marjerin (bitter) while wifey is stuck on Raja Kunyit (full-bodied taste), daughter likes the D98 (totally sweet)....

I find the Thraka rather fibrous, then again others says it's much better than Raja Kunyit....

so, it's a matter of individual's taste, I suppose....

beware of your $$$$ flying off on this learning adventure...yum-yum!

David said...

Wow! Three in the family, all with different taste.

Fortunately, durian season is not all year round; else more $$$$ will be drained.

David