Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day +773 : Ask and you shall receive? (1)

I am fine today.

When I purchased the Perodua Viva, my nephew, Chin Yung, advised me to ask for free gift from the sales agent. The sales agent promised me two gifts upon request: full tank of petrol and free windows tinting with an approximate worth of RM500. I talked about this on my blog Day +754 : Ask and you shall receive.

The sales agent fulfilled her first promise very well as there is not much room for her to play any trick regarding this. The simplest guy such as me could check whether the tank is full through the fuel metre on the dash board.

However, it becomes a little bit tricky when it comes to windows tinting. I was getting a little bit suspicious as the sales agent directed me to a car tint shop. One question puzzling me is how do I know that they didn’t team up to fool me by providing something that is less than the promised value?

“You can have these few types only,” the tint shop staff told me.

“How much does each of them worth? “ I asked.

“About RM180,” she answered.

This is a lot less than what the Perodua sales agent promised. So I contacted her to find out why she didn’t keep her promise? But she insisted over the phone that what was provided worth RM450, and before hanging up the phone, she talked to the tint shop staff. After that, the price for the few types of tint material all became RM450. As I expected, they teamed up to fool me :-(

In the end, I chose a grey colour tint material which does not fall under the few types that I could get if for free, and I have to top up RM50 for this.

When I brought the car to a car accessories shop later to swap the CD player – between the old Daithasu and the new Perodua – the technician there told me that the type of windows tinting that I got worth hundred plus only :-( This confirmed that I was fooled :-(

The bill, RM450 + RM50 = RM500
To be continued and see you next post :-)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sir,

Another trick that tint shop use is the price that they give is excluding the main window. They use lower grade for the main window and will ask you to top up in order to use a normal tint just for the main window.

Dennis Sek said...

Trying to get a free lunch might just cost you something in the end (time and happiness). In my sales experience, invariably some customer are "taught" to ask for freebies. The problem is for an honest salesperson to give you a freebie, this would mean something must come out of his/her own pocket (usually the commission). A shady salesperson would instead try to save on his/her commission by giving you a product which will cost him/her less.

So for an honest salesperson like me, I simply tell my customer, "That's the price and the customer will go to another salesperson and get disappointed in the end." Of course I will lose my case.

The best solution I gather is the free market system, find out everything you want to know and the price then decide on the purchase. Let no other form of inducement or discount sway your decision.

David said...

Yes, full of trick :-( We are living in a tricky world.

In fact, I am as happy as before. Nothing like this could influence me much :-) I also don't take windows tinting too seriously, and I might not even go for it if the sales agent didn't offer me the free package.

Dennis Sek said...

When I got my car, I flatly refuse the tint offer.

What I like is the expensive one but at RM2000 (without discount), it was pricey. So I went without any tint. By the way, the new Proton Persona comes with the original windows a little shade but not tint.

David said...

RM2000? How many percent tinted?

Dennis Sek said...

It was the best from V-Kool. My brother had this on his Honda City.

Dennis Sek said...

I am sorry to have forgotten the specification but I am sure you can just google it from the Internet.