Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Day +762 : “It’s a pity that my wife is not here.”

I am fine today.

I met an Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL) patient who was in his 100+ days post bone marrow transplant at UH yesterday.

Before the bone marrow transplant, he was treated in a private hospital in Melaka. The doctor there said that they didn’t know how to treat him anymore after a year of treatment. They referred him to Dr. Alan Teh in Subang Jaya Medical Centre for further treatment. He did a bone marrow transplant in UH subsequently.

He seemed to be very unhappy about his diet.

“Do you control your food?” he asked.

“No. Anything edible, I eat,” I said, “Unless something which I can’t really bear such as chili.”

“You eat yam?”

“Yes.”

“Pepper?”

“Yes.”

“Chicken?”

“Yes.”

“Duck?”

“Yes.”

“Glutinous rice?”

“Yes.”

I told him I eat prawn, crab, durian…

He was remarkably amazed when he heard that I still eat so many “poisonous” foods.

“You must have a good and understanding wife,” he said.

“Yes. She never controls what I eat.”

He said his wife control his food so tightly that he almost got nothing to eat :-( Due to lack of appetite and the tight control, his weight dropped from 71kg to 61kg and during the last follow-up, his weight further dropped to 58kg.

“It’s a pity that my wife is not here,” he sighed.

I believe he wished his wife to be here listening to what I said so that she won't control his food so much.

See you next post :-)

No comments: