Thursday, November 23, 2006

Day +141

I am fine today.

Many people asked me what medicine I am taking now. So I will give you some picture (I mean real picture tomorrow) about the medicine that I consume everyday.

The most important drug that I am taking now is called Ciclosoprin. It is used to prevent Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD). I met some kidney transplant patients who are also using this drug to prevent rejection. I explained quite clearly (I think) the differences between GVHD and rejection on my blog Day +132.

Ciclosporin is an immunosuppressant drug widely used post-allogeneic organ transplant to reduce the activity of the patient's immune system and so the risk of organ rejection. In other words, it carries a message to the immune system, “Good boy, don’t attack them, they are friends.” This prevents the immune system to attack the organs.

However, this message might also make the immune system makes friend with real enemies such as bacterial, virus and fungus, resulting the patient getting infection easily.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: