Thursday, November 16, 2006

Day +134

I am fine today. I received a good news from my third sister (my stem cell donor) that his youngest son Raymond achieved 7A for his UPSR (Primary School Achievement Exam). I hope this achievement can be passed through her stem cell through my body to all my children :-)

My wife and I brought our baby Aaron for vaccination this morning. There are six types of diseases he was vaccinated against: DPT, HIB (Haemophilus Influenzae Type B), OPV (Oral Polio Vaccination) and Hepatitis B.

Just like we have those convenient 3-in-1 packages for various types of drink such as Milo and coffee, DPT consists of a mixture of three vaccines: Diphtheria, Pertussis and Tetanus. All six vaccines are administered through two injections and one oral drop. The nurse told me that these vaccines cost more than RM200 in private clinic, but the hospital gives it free to everyone. "Untunglah saya!” (I gain) :-)

The OPV vaccine consists of live but weakened polio virus. In fact before the use of live virus, killed or inactivated virus was used. The live-virus version gain popularity later because of one very interesting effect: it can 'infect' other, non-vaccinated individuals with whom the vaccinated person has close contact and transfer some immunity to them.

This is really a fantastic idea because those who are close to the baby will be 'rewarded' with secondary polio vaccination free of charge. Since there are many members in my family, I 'untung' (gain) a lot :-)

However, because my immune system is weakened intentionally by the GVHD prevention drug called Ciclosporin, this free secondary vaccination becomes dangerous to me. In other words, the live-virus released from the baby through body secretion might cause me polio (real one, no joke!):-( Therefore, I have to 'ban' myself from holding him or take care of him for 6 weeks.

Fortunately, my mother-in-law came back from Sarawak today. She would be able to help my wife to take care of the baby. No special arrangement had been made for her to return today. What a coincidence? Thank God for this.

See you next post :-)

1 comment:

David said...

Prof Alan just said, "david-healed, blogspot, Sandra". As doctors always like to use short form. I believe he meant he saw you on my blog, and you, not me, gonna to be very careful :-)