Saturday, November 18, 2006

Day +136

I am fine today. I would like to continue the salted fish story.

Many people believe that salted foods cause cancer, and I believe too. However, we could not establish an equation such that "salted food = cancer". The other factors might counts. If the salted foods are prepared properly and we don't consume it too much, it might even be beneficial to us.

Firstly, we all agree that less people were diagnoed with cancer last time compared to nowadays. However, people at that time might ate more salted food than many of us today because at that time there was no regfrigerator and thus people had to use salt to preserve foods. I believe they prepared the salted food well, using fresh ingredient and salt only, and without adding in unhealhty chemicals. So the resulting preserved foods were 'healthy'.

Secondly, even though salted foods might cause cancer, but it did not cause much harm to people last time because they were 'vaccinated' against cancer by eating salted foods. The reason behind this is the same as OPV (Oral Polio Vaccination) that I mentioned yesterday. A small acount of well prepared salted fish like the one that I ate yesterday is equivalent to a dose of weakened polio virus. After consuming it, my immune system was trained to recognize the cancer causing agents, if any, in the salted food. So if I consume too much salted foods later, my body will be smart enough to recognize the cancer causing agents and thus neutralize it.

To be continued tomorrow.

See you next post :-)

No comments: