Saturday, September 30, 2006

Day +87

I am fine today. Let me continue to share my second chemotherapy’s experience in UH.

According to doctor, no body escaped fever during chemotherapy. This means a patient who undergoes chemotherapy will develop at least one occasion of fever and chill. I told doctor I would like to break this record. So I tried my best to take care of myself, put on mask even when I was sleeping, ate well cooked food, limited my movement within the cubicle and took other necessary measures to make sure that I would not develop fever. Despite all these efforts, I failed to break the record.

On day 14, a small area of my left groin turned reddish in colour, and started to swell and experienced pain. At the same time, a boil developed near the left side of my anus. I suspected the boil caused the swelling at the left groin. The doctor started to administer intravenous antibiotic to me.

On day 16, I developed fever and blood sample was taken for culture to determine the type of infection that I might had.

Doctor advised me to do sitz bath twice a day. My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of original Dead Sea salt, which he purchased while visiting Israel, for me to do sitz bath. Since patients were sharing toilet, so I have to wake up at about 5:30am each day, while other patients were still sleeping, sit in salt water for at least half an hour in the toilet. Fortunately, my nephew brought me many JinYong (金庸) novels. Therefore, the time passed very fast in the toilet while reading the novels. If I met a nurse on my way to toilet with my PDA, novels, the salt and other stuffs, I always said to them: “See, I am going to enjoy my sitz bath now.” :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: