Sunday, September 17, 2006

Day +73 (16 September 2006)

I am fine today.

I am addicted to computer games today until I don't have time to write blog, so I delayed this posting. So today here actually means yesterday.

I have an idea of developing some simple educational computer games for my sons, Joseph and Daniel. The content of the game will be related to their study. They will be able score higher points if they study harder. Since they are crazy about computer games, I believe they will be motivated to study in this way.

So I am looking for simple game making software which would allow me to assemble a computer games quickly. I came across a few of them. Among them are Adobe (Macromedia) Flash, Game Maker, Phrogram, and Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express. Flash is very popular, but expensive while the rest are available for free. Phrogram is formerly known as Kid Programming Language, initially designed for kid to program games. But now it has grown up to become Phrogram. Microsoft XNA Game Studio Express is still under beta, it can produce games to run on Microsoft Windows or XBox. Game Maker seems to be easiest. It also includes a particle system for special effect such as explosion, firework, fire, steam, cloud and flare. All these software requires some form of programming.

After surveying the software, I search for some example shooting games on the internet. I came across a game called Star Defender, a very simple arcade style shooting game. I get hooked to the game, because I want to win by completing all the 100 levels, but I could not do it, even after summoned in my son Daniel and Joseph to help :-( Not only this, we tried also Star Defender II and Star Defender III until 1:00am, but still "kalah"(lost) :-(

Daniel said this game is not nice. He is more interested in The Stronghold 2 and Rise of Nation, which I don't know how to play at all. I think I better learn to play these games as soon as possible, else he will laugh at me and say I am “bodoh”(stupid) :-(

See you next post.

No comments: