Saturday, September 23, 2006

Day +80

I am fine today.

My nephew in Sarawak signed up a service called VOIP Stunt. Paying a fee of Euro 10.00 will allow him to call from his computer to any fixed line within Malaysia and many other countries for 120 days. Initially, I thought he could make unlimited call with this service. But I notice later that there is a condition written with small letter at the end of each web page saying that “Max 300 minutes per week of free calls, measured over the last 7 days.” That means the service provider limited the free call to 300 minutes per week, the subscriber has to pay for call duration exceeding 300 minutes over the last 7 days. If the subscriber can make full use of 300 minutes per 7 days over a period of 120 days, then the call rate per minute is about RM 0.01, which is much cheaper than local Telekom rate of RM 0.04 per minute. At the end of 120 days, the Euro 10.00 is still there, but the subscriber cannot make free call anymore because the 120 free days have been used up. However, he/she can still use the Euro 10.00 or remaining credit to make call to those countries which are not free.

He persuaded me to sign up this service. I told him I don’t make oversea call frequently, and I cannot even finish the 250 minutes call under my mobile phone package. After listening to my explanation, he still thinks that I need to sign up because the service is “too good.” We have the following conversation.

David : How do you pay the fee?
Nephew : Mum’s credit card.
David : My mum does not have credit card.
Nephew : But you have, use your own credit card.
David : If I use my own credit card, I have to pay the bill. You use your mum's credit card, she pays the bill. So it is different.
Nephew : You earn a lot of money.
David : No more now, as I don’t work.
Nephew : Use your wife's credit card.
David : My wife does not have credit card.
Nephew : Ok-lah, use my account-lah. (His Voip Stunt Account)
David : Great! I will inform you first before I make call using your account.
Nephew : Not need-lah, just call. I don’t use it much also.

You see, he don’t need the service so much, and yet he signed it up just because he feels that the offer is very good. At the end he sends me his account and password.

With his account, I can make call using my notebook computer which should be more healthy than the hand phone because notebook computer does not need to transmit strong electromagnetic signal like the hand phone :-)

If you signed out similar service and fail to make full use of them like my nephew, just let me know, I might do you a favour :-)

See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it something like someone buying a new car, does not use it much and put it in my garage!

David said...

.. and then pass me the key, and said use it whenever you want, I don't need it much :-)