Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Day +77

I am fine today. Let me continue talking about milk.

I did health screening every year. My blood test result at the end of year 2004 revealed that my bad cholesterol exceeded normal level and my blood pressure was also too high. Since then, I jogged everyday and started to take Spirulina, oat meal, apple and some other health foods. After I jogged consistently for a few months, my body weight dropped from about 67kg to 62kg, and the cholesterol level became normal.

At that time, I took low fat milk everyday. After someone warned me that milk is not good for health, I stopped taking milk completely. So I just took an apple and instant oat meal mixed with hot water for breakfast. Sometimes, I also took apple juice, carrot juice and steamed sweet potatoes.

After stopping taking milk for two months, I experienced pain at joints on my hands and legs. I suspected this pain must be due to lacking of calcium in my body. So I started to mix milk with instant oat again. Not long after, the pain was gone completely. This made me to continue to take milk until I was diagnosed with AML. I am now taking lactose free milk make of soy protein extract called Ensure. Some might argue that they are many sources of calcium, why one must get it from milk? To me milk is a very convenient source of calcium. According to one of the article I mentioned yesterday, milk provides us good source of proteins which contain 8 types of amino acid the body cannot produce by itself. If I don't take milk, then I need to swallow many supplement pills everyday.

I knew a couple whose eldest child was allergy to cow milk. So when they got their second child, they thought that this child must also be allergic to cow milk. They fed him with soy milk only to find out that this second child is allergic to soy milk. In the end they fed this child with cow milk. If we say that we cannot take some food because someone is allergic to it. Then in this case, we will conclude that we cannot take cow milk because the first child is allergic to it and we can't take soy milk either because the second child is allergic to it. Unfortunately, the mother said that she cannot produce breast milk for the child, then what the child should take? I guess someone might introduce them plant milk and cereal milk :-)

The "Sin Chew Daily" newspaper reported yesterday the lifestyle of a 111 years old Japanese man who is still healthy. He said he does not smokes and drinks alcohol, but he drinks milk everyday :-)

See you next post.

No comments: