Saturday, September 09, 2006

Day +66

In NMSC, my care taker cooked for me oat meal mixed with vegetable and fish almost everyday. They boiled everything together using a rice cooker in the room. Sometimes they also brought food from my eldest sister house which tasted much better than the oat meal.

My eldest sister also cut my hair, but not long after that my hair started to drop. So she helped me again to pull off most of my hair, not violently, but gently without causing pain. If we didn't do it this way, my hair would drop everywhere in the room :-(

A senior uncle from my eldest sister's church came to visit, encourage and pray for me many times. He and his wife were having cancers earlier and went through chemotherapy, but they were healthy now. His also prayed for me through the telephone when they could not visit me. In his prayer, he always said, "With the treatment given by doctor, coupled with the grace of God, you shall be healed."

I experienced one occasion of chill and fever that lasted for a few hours. Apart from this, I also developed rashes over my body because I was allergic to some chemo drug.
The doctor informed me my cytogenetic analysis result on the 19, November. This analysis studies the chromosome abnormalities of a patient. It is important in determining the prognosis (long term survival rate) of a cancer patient. Based on the type of chromosome abnormality, the patient can be categorized into low risk, medium risk and high risk group. It is not necessary for a patient who is in the low risk group to go for bone marrow transplant, unless he/she experiences a relapse. We all hoped that I will be in this group. But the result showed that I am in the high risk group. So I was advised to go for transplant.

I was discharged from NMSC on the 20, December 2005, hospitalized for 23 days and 22 nights. The medical fee was very high. Fortunately, I purchased medical insurance which allowed me to claim most of the fee.

See you next post :-)

No comments: