Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Day +83

I am fine today.

My brother went back to our home town Bintangor, Sarawak last week. My third sister purchased three black “kampung”(village) chickens from her neighbor. Then my brother-in-law helped to cut and washed them, packed and freeze them and then asked my brother to bring them to me yesterday. Each chicken weighed about 2kg and each kg costs RM17 at Bintangor. Since the chickens had to be transported here by airplane (The airplane which bears the mark “Now everyone can fly”, including the frozen chicken I guess;-)), the actual cost of having them here would be at least RM25 per kg.

These chickens are really the genuine world class “kampung” chickens. They are normally fed with corn, and are free to wander around the house. Apart from running, they also learned to fly. Although they cannot fly as high or as long as eagles, they always managed to reach a branch of some trees and sleeps there. Furthermore, they are totally free from antibiotic and growth hormone.

It is extremely easy to cook this type of chicken. Just boil it with a few slides of ginger and add a little bit of salt will do. It is definitely more delicious than KFC even we don't fried it. My boys are very happy to hear that we have such chicken for lunch because they had tasted it when we were having holiday in Sarawak.

The “kampung” chickens here are definitely not as good as those that my brother brought to me. The chicken seller here told me that the “kampung” chickens here are normally reared within a fence. Even though they don’t rear the chicken within a cage, we don’t know how many chickens they squeeze within the fence. We also never know what they feed the chicken with, and whether they inject these “kampung” chickens with antibiotic or growth hormone. That’s why I stopped to take chicken meat when I received the first antibiotic during my bone marrow transplant; because I worried the antibiotic residue from the chicken might interfere with the antibiotic that I was receiving.

May be I don’t know where to purchase genuine “kampung” chickens here. Please let me know if you know where to get them.

See you next post :-)

No comments: