Friday, September 22, 2006

Day +79

I am fine today.

My wife knows how to cook very delicious Sambal Ikan Bilis (Chili Paste with Anchovies). She prepared this dish together with Nasi Lemak (Coconut Rice) for our church potluck a number of times. Many people like it. My mother-in-law and maid cook this dish for us today. Even though they don't add Belacan (Prawn Paste), it still tastes very nice.

Chili is a healthy food. A compound called capsaicin, which makes red chili hot, has been tested to cause cancer cell to self-destruct (apoptosis). The article about this can be found here. Now the more controversial ingredients are Belacan and Ikan Bilis, which many believe are linked to cancer. Therefore, my mother-in-law doesn’t add Belacan into the Sambal Ikan Bilis. However, they still add some Ikan Bilis, because without it, the dish will becomes Sambal “Nothing” :-( There is an article from BWCA (Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign) called “The Ikan Bilis and Belacan Story.” You can click here to read the article. Only the first two paragraphs are relevant.

I wish I could eat fresh fruits very soon. Sometimes, my mother-in-law or the maid cooked pineapple syrup for me. It tastes like the canned pineapple syrup. Although it is delicious, it is too troublesome to prepare the syrup. I would rather eat it fresh.

See you next post :-)

No comments: