Sunday, May 06, 2012

Day +2131 : Eating cake can be life threatening

I am fine today.

When I reached home with my "new" car last Friday,  I saw my niece, Nga Ming, making a cake. And the cake was ready after I waked up from an afternoon nap. Just before I went out to mount the hand phone car dock in the Innova, Nga Ming passed me a piece of the cake that she made.

I put the cake into my mouth and went to the car. While fixing and eating in the car, I suddenly found out I had a problem with the cake. It stuck in my throat, neither could I push it down nor push it up, and this rendering me breathless. I quickly jumped out from the car and rushed to the kitchen for a cup of water. Only with the help of water, I managed to swallowed the cake. I might be stuffed to death without water.

This incident reminded me that I am different from others. Due to Graft-versus-host-disease(GVHD) - a side effect of bone marrow transplant - my saliva grand doesn't secrete enough saliva, and without sufficient saliva, I have difficulty swallowing dry food such as cake and biscuit.

I have to always have water standby when I eat cake next time.

See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear David, take small bite next time. It also happened to me once or twice. Take deep breath and panic not!
Seu Chuong

David said...

Thanks for you advice, Seu Chuong.