Saturday, November 01, 2008

Day +850 : A taste of China’s Yangcheng Lake – the famous Dazha crab (阳澄湖大闸蟹)

I am fine today.

A church member and close friend of mine came back from China today on a business trip. He brought back quite a lot of Dazha crabs. These crabs were still alive when they reached Malaysia, and thus their freshness, I think, is beyond dispute :-)

Dazha crab is also called Chinese mitten crab, or big binding crab, or Shanghai hairy crab. It cost RMB 100 per crab if one buys the them directly from the first hand supplier. That means RM50 per crab. However, considering the additional middlemen, and the cost of transportation, and also the profit by the restaurant, a Dazha crab could cost hundreds ringgit in Malaysia.

Knowing that I like to eat very much, my friend shared with me the crabs generously. The crab tastes extremely good; the best crab that I ever taste in my life :-)

"...the Chinese hairy crab's primary appeal is not the meat in its claws and legs, although they're to be savored as well. Every hairy crab lover knows the real treasure is buried beneath its body armor. The soup, the roe (eggs), the "mustard", the guts (just not the lungs) are to be sipped, sucked and licked to your mouth's content."

Described someone about the parts of the crab that attracts a crab lover most, which I concur completely :-)

I thank God that I am not only alive today but able to taste this king of crabs :-)

The steamed crab
A zoom in view
Another view
Do you see the black hairs, initially I thought that was mud :-)
The white abdomen, proof of real YangCheng Dazha crab
Open up the crab
Not much meat, but as I mentioned earlier, the real attraction is not the meat
Still dare to eat after seeing this :-)
My two nephews enjoying the crab

See you next post :-)

No comments: