Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Day +853 : The cost of gluttony – losing a molar tooth :-( (1)

I am fine today.

When I was eating the Dazha crabs in my friend’s house last Saturday, something happened which I haven’t shared with you.

I tried to crack the crab leg with my molar tooth in order to enjoy the tasty meat inside, and there was indeed a little “crack” sound heard, but when I examined the crack leg, it was still perfect :-( Based on logical deduction, you should show what had happened.

I bit the crack leg, something was cracked, and it was not the crab that cracked, what else could it be? My tooth :-( Due to that powerful bite, the dental filling of my upper left molar tooth was detached, leaving a “gigantic” hole on it.

I went to see a dentist yesterday afternoon and he gave me two choices; root canal treatment or extraction. Due to the fact that my gum is not so healthy and the hole on the tooth is too big, the doctor told me that the outcome of a root canal treatment might not maintain the tooth for too long and in addition to this, it could also cause infection. Considering that I am immune suppressed due to the anti-GVHD drugs I take every day, I decided to extract the tooth.

The dentist hesitated whether to do the extraction for me after hearing that I am a post bone marrow transplant Leukaemia patient. However, after some discussion, he was convinced that we could proceed with the extraction. And before that, I requested him to do a dental scaling for me first, so that I do not have to go back for this again later. The dentist found two decayed teeth that need dental filling while doing the dental scaling and he advised me to do the filling at a later stage.

To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: