Thursday, November 13, 2008

Day +862 : Clarithromycin is no friend to Ciclosporin

My Blood Count Yesterday: - Readings in square bracket [] are result from previous test.
Red Blood Count (HB) = 157[140] (Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 189[196] (Normal 150-450)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 7.9[5.7] (Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 4.108[2.394] (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)

I am fine today.

The blood test that was done yesterday shows normal result. This means that the body's “fundamental” is still strong :-) The infection will go after some times.

I discovered this morning that the antibiotic that the doctor prescribed to me yesterday may interact with Ciclosporin that I am taking, resulting:

  1. Elevated level of Ciclosporin in blood
  2. Ciclosporin toxicity

I printed the relevant information to the doctor when I went to collect my blood test result. After some discussion, and searching online for more information, the doctor said that since the Ciclosporin dosage that I take is small, I should not face the side effects as mentioned.

But when I just reached home from the clinic, the doctor called and told me that he would like to replace Clarithromycin with Curam 625mg tablet, twice a day. Each tablet is made up of 500mg Amoxycillin and 125mg Clavulanic Acid.

I went to the clinic to meet the doctor again. He said we better play safe, else he might run into trouble later :-) So the best way is to change Clarithromycin to Curam 625mg.

I already took one Clarithromycin tablet yesterday, so I returned the remaining 4 to him. And for the next 4 days, I will be taking Curam 625mg in addition to existing Penicillin and Bactrin.

Hopefully, this drug will help to fight off any infections in my body.

See you next post :-)

No comments: