Monday, November 03, 2008

Day +852 : I saw China’s Dazha crab (大闸蟹) here

I am fine today.

Of course, not in the drain somewhere :-)

When we had our company lunch at Imperial Palace Restaurant, Puchong this afternoon, I saw a banner portraying an attractive Dazha crab, just like the one that was posted on this blog last Saturday. It must be Dazha crab season now, and these crabs are exported from China to overseas’ market including Malaysia.

The restaurant attendant told me that a crab cost RM48. In order to answer my queries, she showed me the crabs which were still alive but black in colour, not the red colour that you saw earlier. Just like the prawn, it turns red only after cooking.

The one that I saw at the restaurant looks more or less like this one.

However, one thing I noted is that the crabs were much smaller, about half only, than the one that I ate and their abdomen is not white, but gray in colour. Later I found out that the crabs were from Jiangsu (江苏), not Yangcheng (阳澄湖)Lake. The Dazha crabs from YangCheng Lake fetches much higher price than that from Jiangsu.

Are you interested? Visit Imperial Palace Restaurant if you would like to spend RM48 for a 200g crab :-)

See you next post :-)

No comments: