Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Day +867 : “Air putus!”

I am fine today.

“Air putus!” complained our maid to my wife yesterday. “Air putus” means “the water is broken”.

“How can water be broken?” pondered my wife.

Only when the maid showed her the water tap in the kitchen, my wife realized what she meant. The upper arm of the tap was detached from the base, and the nut that secured the arm to the base was broken.

This was the third time we had similar problems with the tap. One week ago, the top part of the nut was cracked resulting water leaking heavily from the joints. And interestingly, the maid and my mother-in-law accused each other for damaging it; a situation which made me laugh.

I knew that the quality of the tap is very poor as when I first installed it, the nut was broken too. I brought the broken tap to the hardware shop, but the owner told me that it was my fault, because I mishandled it. Considering that I can still use other parts as spare as only the nut was broken, I purchased the same type of tap and fixed it successfully.

After using it for two weeks, same problem arose again; that was when my maid and mother-in-law blamed each other for the damage. For convenient sack, I purchased the same type of tap again from the same workshop and replaced the upper arm with the new nut without the need to replace the base; a lazy man's solution. And with this, I have plenty of spare parts :-)

The part that was broken
When the nut was broken again yesterday. I knew that there is no point to have the same type of tap again. The quality is too poor to sustain the water pressure. The nut will break again a short time later and I have to spend money and time to fix it again.

In the end, I replaced it with a better tap from another hardware shop, and threw away all spare parts that I collected earlier.

See you next post :-)

No comments: