Thursday, October 25, 2007

Day +477 : A good modem is better than meals

I am fine today.

I have a nephew studying university foundation program in Universiti Tun Abdul Razak at Petaling Jaya, somewhere very near to University Hospital. He is the eldest son of my kind third sister who donated stem cells to me.

He used to be very rich. When his grandmother was around, he flattered her so much that she “rewarded” him with a lot of money :-) Indeed, her grandmother was like his private bank. The decease of her grandmother early this year (Day +251 : Nothing she brings from this world but loving kindness she planted deeply in my heart) literally means the “bankruptcy” of his private bank :-(

While waiting to see doctor after the nurse took my blood on last Tuesday’s follow-up, I went to meet him and had breakfast with him. He proudly showed me his new wireless modem for Celcom wireless broadband service which he had just subscribed. He generously paid RM980 to purchase the best-of-breed modem, but after this, he was left with RM50 only for two weeks :-( I believe he planned to survive on instant noodles for the coming two weeks :-)

I would choose a cheaper modem if I were him. What is the use to have a modem that can support up to 3.6Mbps with a 384kbps Celcom wireless broadband service? He is only using 10% of the capacity of the modem! In order words, he has to sacrify his meals for two weeks for the 90% capacity which he would never use :-(

Don’t worry; he is now very happy with the best-of-breed modem. To him, a good modem is way better than two week’s meals :-)

I also wrote about him on my blog Day +80 regarding his subscription of an internet service and shared it generously with me.

See you next post :-)

No comments: