Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Day +461 : Follow-up – Back to day care unit

I am fine today.

Further to yesterday’s follow-up, I went to see doctor in the day care unit this morning to further access my condition. Doctor arranged a few tests for me which include chest x-ray, CMV test, and CT scan for thorax. The chest x-ray indicates that the lung is clear while the results for CMV test and CT scan are not known yet.

The planned administration of intravenous steroid was temporary suspended to allow a longer period of observation so that right treatment can be taken. The doctor keeps the current GVHD medication – 50mg (6 tablets) steroid Prednisolon and 50mg (2 pills) of Ciclosporin everyday. They will re-access my liver enzymes level next Tuesday. Should the level increases further, a liver biopsy (extraction of a small portion of liver tissues for analysis) has to be done :-) This is to ensure that the elevated liver enzymes is not caused by infection before engaging a more aggressive GVHD treatment such as high dose intravenous steroid therapy (also called pulse methylprednisolon therapy) and replacing Ciclosporin with Cellcept or Tacrolimus.

Even though doctor said that it is now very safe and easy to do a liver biopsy and the procedure is less painful than bone marrow aspiration, I am still quite worry about it :-(

I also seek advice from doctor about the trip to Pulau Pangkor this weekend. Doctor said that I am fit to travel. However, he warned that I should avoid raw sea foods :-( I am still deciding whether I should go ahead with the trip. Perhaps I should do a liver function test on Friday and make decision base on the result; only proceed with the trip if the liver enzymes level drop.

Adriel and Aaron have fully recovered from vomiting now :-) However, Aaron developed diarrhea this afternoon. We came to know that another child who attended the Saturday night dinner also start to vomit at the same time yesterday. With this, we highly suspect that some food of the dinner was contaminated with virus.

See you next post :-)

No comments: