Friday, October 26, 2007

Day +478 : Are you addicted to internet?

I am fine today.

The use of internet is ever increasing these days especially among the younger generation. Internet today provides an ocean of unprecedented rich resources and activities that could easily submerge anyone with little discipline. We call those people who drink alcohol substances habitually and excessively “alcoholic”. Interestingly, there is an equivalent term for those who use internet excessively – cyberholic :-)

Some common behaviour of a cyberholic is as follow:

  1. Enjoy chatting purposelessly with anyone on the net.
  2. Enjoy downloading information such as music, books and games without border looking at them after downloading. Pleasure rises from seeing the progressing of downloading status bar :-)
  3. Enjoy “reading” anything online which wind up oneself wandering and lost in the dense forest of information. Everything seems to be so interesting!
  4. Turn on computer on the way back from toilet at midnight to check for email and other online information.
  5. Feel empty and bored without access to internet.
  6. Neglect spending time with family members and friends. Just like what my wife said, “You are married to computer.” :-(

I must confess that I am a cyberholic to certain degree as I possess all the above criteria except online chatting :-(

If you would like to find out whether you are addicted to internet, click the link here for an Internet Addiction Test. I scored 46 with comment, “You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.”

I am not satisfied with this result. I think I have to cut down the online time to score something less than 46.

See you next post :-)

No comments: