Thursday, May 10, 2007

Day +309 : Fungus or preservative, which one you prefer?

I am fine today.

After I was diagnosed with Leukaemia, many people advised me to take organic foods. These foods are expensive compared to conventional foods. Apart from this, the choice is very limited. The organic shops nearby my house sell a limited variety of vegetables.

One time, my family members bought me organic bread while I was receiving Leukeamia treatment. The bread was made from organic flour and no preservative was added. It is more natural than the normal bread such as ‘Gardenia’, ‘High 5’ and etc. However, one thing disturbed me very much was that it grew fungus way before the stated expiry date. I told myself, “Luckily I notice this, this fungus could kill me.” I had very low immunity at that time due to chemotherapy.

Fungus and preservative, which one you prefer? I would choose preservative for now :-)

If you are told that organic foods are safer, tastier and nutritious, but can’t afford to have them because they are expensive. Don’t be too worry. Read the following paragraph from Malaysian CropLife & Public Health Association (MCPA).

"Is organic food safer, tastier and more nutritious?

There is no scientific basis to prove that organic food is tastier and more nutritious than conventionally grown crops. This marketing line of “safer” organic food is promoted by “organic” farmers and certain outlets to secure high prices and profit margins. In the absence of legally binding regulations and certification processes in Malaysia, consumers cannot be assured that the organic produce they buy at high prices is truly organically grown. Often these produce are of poor quality (when compared to conventionally grown food) and are infested by pests and diseases. Some of these pathogens could pose serious health risks to humans. Recent investigations on organic produce overseas reported higher than normal incidences of bacteria and micro organisms like E. coli in organic food. These harmful organisms are inadvertently introduced to the crop through the use of organic fertilizer like animal dung. From a practical perspective it is well known that sustained commercial farming, conventional or “organic”, in the tropics cannot be possible without pesticides. Even certified organic farms in advance temperate countries often resort to “approved” pesticides in order to bring their crops to harvest. Organic food is expensive and is the fad of the wealthy, while conventional food is generally of better quality and is affordable to all. This explains why governments throughout the world continue to deploy resources for the development of conventional agriculture for food safety and food security. "

See you next post :-)

No comments: