Friday, May 25, 2007

Day +324 : Hear two new Leukaemia cases in a day

I am fine today.

On Wednesday, one of my colleagues told me that one of his church members’ brother was diagnosed with Leukaemia. The patient was treated for eyes cancer earlier. So Leukaemia might be developed as a side effect of the earlier treatment – secondary cancer. My colleague said he will refer my blog to the family.

Then on Wednesday night, a classmate of mine who is a senior pastor now called me from Miri, Sarawak. He said a relative of his church member was diagnosed with Leukaemia. He would like to find out how bone marrow transplant is done. The patient is currently reluctant to go for conventional treatment and is trying to combat the disease with health products.

I visited a friend who is doing his third round of chemotherapy in UH on Monday. He told me he saw many new Leukaemia cases recently. It looks like it is gaining popularity now :-(

Leukaemia is considered to be quite rare among cancers. Based on a study on Peninsular Malaysia in 2003, it constitutes of 4% and 7.1% of total cancers among females and males respectively.

The following statistic is contained in the HOPE hand book – a resource guidebook for newly diagnosed cancer patients. It can be downloaded here.


See you next post :-)

2 comments:

Dennis Sek said...

My friend's brother passed away a few days back.

David said...

Sorry to hear about this.