Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Day +90

I am fine today.

The hematology ward called me suddenly this morning, requesting me to go to the ward to draw blood sample for one of the researches the hematologists are doing. Even though my veins are "beautiful", the nurse failed to draw blood at the first attempt. After the needle was poked into the vein, she kept on adjusting the needle, but there was no blood flowing out through the needle. Fortunately, the second attempt to draw blood was quite smooth. She managed to draw 7 small tubes of blood sample in less than 10 minutes time.

I do not know exactly about the research, but I think it is related to predicting Graft Versus Host Disease (GVHD) after transplant. During my bone marrow transplant, the doctor in charge of this research seeking my consent to allow them to use my blood for this research. The only requirement from me is to allow them to draw blood a few times, at particular interval. I agreed to participate without much consideration. Hopefully, the research will enable doctors to predict the GVHD better in future to avoid severe post transplant GVHD complication.

See you next post :-)

No comments: