Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Day +112

I am fine today. Now continue my story at UH…

Just after I was admitted to the ward, I informed the hematologist who treated me in Kuching that I was infected with Aspergillus fungus. He warned me that the treatment could be tedious and my PICC line might need to be removed as part of the treatment. As mentioned in my Day +57 blog, this PICC was installed on my left arm after much difficulty during my first chemotherapy in NMSC, Kuching. The removal was necessary in case the fungus infection was caused by fungus growing in the PICC line.

After a few days I received the warning, the chief hematologist in UH “demanded” my PICC line be removed. The appointment to install a new PICC line was fixed on the afternoon of 1 March 2006 (Day 10). I was very nervous to go through this procedure due to my bad experience while installing the first PICC. I was shivering, praying and reciting Bible verses on the operation table while the radiologist inserting the line into my right arm. I experienced great pain initially. The radiologist said the pain could be due to blood clot in the vein. And I believed that the clot might be resulted from the failed attempt to fix the PICC line on my right arm during my first chemotherapy.

In the end, the radiologist managed to put the PICC line in place. When I was just about to feel relieved, the radiologist told me she experienced difficulty to fix PICC head into my arm. She said my skin became very tough after chemotherapy. The procedure was finally abandoned after many attempts, even with different types of head. She said she will ask her teacher to fix the line for me early in the morning the next day. Only then I realized that the radiologist was a student who was learning to fix the PICC line :-(

See you next post :-)

No comments: