Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Day +56

I am fine today. Continue my story...

On the 1 December, my second day chemotherapy, I decided to continue my treatment in NMSC after my youngest brother and my eldest sister made a second visit to the hematologist there. The doctors in SGH were very cooperative in referring me to NMSC.

Pastor went back to Puchong in the afternoon.

While I was waiting to be transferred to NMSC, a group of doctors and nurses carried out an operation on the patient beside my bed who was in a very bad condition. I was quite surprised that the operation was done in the ward, not the operation theater. They set up a temporary blind between my bed and the patient bed. I could hear very clearly their conversation and the sound of metals knocking each other, but unable to see how they did it.

Unfortunately the poor Iban patient passed away later in the evening. A big group of his relatives swamped into the room like a swarm of bees. Fortunately, my brother-in-law planned for my escape before this happened. So by the time they rushed into the room, I was already outside the room. Else, I could be in a very difficult position in that room with so many people crying, shouting and pushing each other. You might question why the hospital did not control the situation. I believe due to certain reasons, restricting the relatives to enter the room could create more trouble than allowing them.

Immediately after the discharge procedure was completed at about 8:30pm, I was transferred to NMSC by their ambulance. We reached NMSC at about 9:00pm. After that doctor at the emergency department examined me and draw my blood sample, the hematologist came. He further examined me and discussed about my treatment there. He told me that they would fix a Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter (PICC) line for me on the next morning before continuing the chemotherapy. This was the first time I heard of PICC. SGH did not use PICC at that time.

By the time I reached the ward, it was about 11:00pm.

See you next post :-)

No comments: