Thursday, August 10, 2006

Day +36

My Blood Count Today:
Red Blood Count (RBC) = 103(Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 113(Normal 150-150)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 2.2(Normal 4 - 11)
Potassium = 4.5(Normal 3.5 - 5.2)
Magnesium = 0.44(Normal 0.65 - 1.05)

I am fine today. I went for 2nd followup this morning. Most of the blood counts do not vary much. There is a good increase of platelet, from 100 to 113, but the white blood count drops further from 2.4 to 2.2. The nurse gave me another infusion of magnesium today.

Since the potassium level is maintained quite well, the nurse advised me to continue what I have been eating. I am now basically a vegetarian who also eat fish. In the morning, I have oat meal mixed with fish and many type of vegetables. In the afternoon and evening, brown rice or 5 grains, fish ball soup or bean curd soup with vegetable in it, mixed vegetables and steam fish. Forgetting about the fish, I am more vegetarian than any other vegetarian because I am served with at least five type of vegetables each meal. These vegetables include celery, spinarch, brocolli, cauliflower, green pepper, red pepper, yellow pepper, lady finger, french bean, corn shoot, chinese cabbage, tomato, loofah, sweet mustard, swiss chard and many others which I don't know how to call them, but definately know how to eat them.

These meals are really difficult to eat and therefore it must be healthy. Another "secret recipe" to boost our immune system as advocated by those Natural Therapist is to swallow a spoonful of food after 30 chews. The reason to have so many chews is the same as to divide a cup of water into 100 sips, that is to swallow as much saliva as we can. Since the brown rice and the 5 grains are so hard and rough, and the vegetables are not delicious too, therefore no matter how big my throat is, I still have to chew a spoonful of them at least 30 times before I manage to swallow them - thefore the foods become healthy:-). I normally swallow a mouthful of those delicious foods like KFC, Big Mac or Pizza... with less than 5 chews - therefore these foods are not healthy. This might answer the question from my son, "Why all delicious foods are unhealthy and all healthy foods are not delicious?" But if I explain to him this way, he will be very happy and tell me, "Baba, now I can have Pizza everyday because I will chew each mouthful of Pizza 30 times before I swallow it." :-)

See you next post.

1 comment:

David said...

Hi Sandra, I will keep up this good and difficult work:-( I think u are young, so u recover a lot faster than me. I am more than double your age:-) My white blood count and magnesium level is still low. Flushing the PICC line is not too difficult, but the procedure is troublesome. It's difficult to wash the hand after the gauze and plaster is taken off. The PICC head might dip into the water which might cause infection:-( Take care 24-7? No, no. Not need to take care like baby, just leave it there:-) Take care only when flushing and while taking bath when I need to wrap it with plastic bag. Comparing to the pain, still worth it:-) I am sure you will be always healthy. Yes, the trial in life only bring us closer to God. You know Andres Segovia, the guy who popularize classical guitar into concert hall. He prayed, "Dear Lord, I know heaven so wonderful, but I am not deserved to be there now, please leave me here."