Monday, August 07, 2006

Day +33

My Blood Count Today:
Red Blood Count (RBC) = 103(Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 100(Normal 150-150)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 2.4(Normal 4 - 11)
Potassium = 4.6(Normal 3.5 - 5.2)
Magnesium = 0.45(Normal 0.65 - 1.05)

This is my blood count for the first followup . There is a very good increase in platelet. The red blood count also increases from 94 to 103. The white blood count drops from 19.2 to 2.4. We still don't know it is still dropping or start to pick up. This will be confirmed on the second followup on Monday. The level of potassium is very good now. However, the body still experiences magnesium deficiency. I was given magnesium infusion, a process which lasted for 2 hours. My wife and I started our journey to hospital at 7:00am and only reached home at 3:00pm. We can reach home at lot earlier if I do not need magnesium infusion anymore.

I also experienced mild fluid retention on my feet. One way to determine whether fuild retention happens is to press the swelling part on the body and then release it. If the body surface does not bounce back immediately and is dented for a while , then fluid retention occurs. I told doctors I drink at least 5 litres of water everyday and they are quite surprised with this big amount of water intake. They advised me not to force myself to drink. In fact I never force myself. Everyday, I need 1.5 litres of water to swallow the pills. Apart from this, I drink about 1.0 litre of soup together with meal, 0.5 litre nutritious Ensure milk and 0.5 litre Ovaltine. Sometime I drink 0.5 litre green bean or read bean soup. This will sum up to a total of 4 litres of water already.

I told doctor I am taking fish ball soup most of the time and she asked me : "Why fish ball soup?" I could not answer her because I also don't know the answer. I think I need to ask my wife this question and hopefully she knows the answer. "Why not shark fin soup or curry chicken soup or prawn Tomyam soup or beef tandon soup...?" Thinking about these soup make me very hungry now.

I cannot write anymore because I need to find some food to eat. See you next post:-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah Kiew, reading about your account of food also makes me hungry.

Am glad you are now at home - although confined :( but at least, together with family. I'm sure you'll do your best to recover fast. Well, if you can't do jogging, try meditating & prayers. It's good spiritual exercise.

God bless,
Adriana

Anonymous said...

hello how are you
I live in hong kong I know u by sha kok alliance church I'm the one of that church. so sorry i can 't use more english to say with you I think GOD must be blessed you and your family too

Anonymous said...

Please send my greatest esteem for your wife.

Being a patient like you is sufferring, but being the family members who loves you very much should be more sufferring too.

David said...

Good suggestion Adriana:)

Thank you YS Hung. I can understand your English. God bless you too:-)

Sure, I will tell my wife about this comment. I agree with you that the disease brought more worry to my wife, other family members, both on my side and my wife side, church members and also friends. Some church member even cried when they knew that I was diagnosed with this disease. Thank you:-)