Thursday, August 24, 2006

Day +50

My Blood Count Today:
Red Blood Count (RBC) = 108(Normal 130-180)
Platelet = 119(Normal 150-150)
White Blood Count (WBC) = 2.7(Normal 4 - 11)
Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) = 1.404 (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
Potassium = 4.0(Normal 3.5 - 5.2)
Magnesium = 0.51(Normal 0.65 - 1.05)

The blood counts except magnesium are quite normal. I received another magnesium infusion.

It has been nearly two months I stayed in the air-conditioned room 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. How I wish I could escape from this room or open the windows, at least once in a while. It is not because I have nothing to do in this room, but because I would like to breathe some fresh air especially those early morning air. When I go to hospital, I am outside the room but I could not enjoy fresh air because my nose is covered with mask. When I am inside my room, I could not enjoy fresh air either because all the windows are closed. So the conclusion is no matter which side I am in, I could not enjoy fresh air. May be I need to find some more “sides” apart from inside and outside where I could possibly enjoy fresh air. I think two other possible sides could be “upside” and “downside”:-)

Staying in this air-conditioned room 24 hours a day not only increase my electricity bill (to be exactly my wife electricity bill) sharply, but also cause skin dryness which persist even I "sapu"(apply) QV cream twice a day. I asked doctor and BMT nurse whether it is alright for me to open the windows, at least at night. They asked me to describe what are outside my windows. Since I am staying in the first floor at the back side of my house, I see the back side of another house. This terrace house is arranged back to back. Apart from this, I see a papaya tree at the back of my house which is as high as the window now. So if I want fresh papaya, I can just pluck it from my room through the window:-) But unfortunately, I still cannot eat fresh fruits unless they are cooked. In addition to this, there is construction going on at the hill side one or two km away from my house. With this information, they concluded that I should not open the windows at any time because of the construction which could bring in dust that contains fungus.

When I was well I seldom realize that it is in fact a privilege to be able to breathe unlimited amount of fresh air free of charge. We tend to take everything for granted when we are well. The first thing that I would do when I am allowed to go outside to breathe some fresh air is to thank God, for his grace and generosity.

If you are interested, you can download the classical guitar competition piece that I recorded here. It is Carcassi Etude No. 3. My cute and sweet wife commented that the melody line is not too clear. I totally agree with her, but it is quite difficult for me to correct it in time especially with my trembling hand. You see, she is not only my wife, but also my music teacher, specializing in musical mood and expression. If not beause of her guidance, I would still play music as mechanical as robot:-)

See you next post:-)

No comments: