Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day +1622 : Holiday in Sarawak (8) - Wireless Broadband Internet Access in Kampong

I am fine today.

I subscribed a Celcom Broadband service with a monthly data limit of 5GB and connection speed of 384kbps just before leaving for holiday in Sarawak. There is no fixed line internet connection such as TM streamyx in the kampong as all the telephone line was stolen. All the kampong folks have to use mobile phone services and wireless internet connection.

I found out that the Celcom Broadband service was extremely slow and I even have problem in checking email sometimes when I tried to access internet in the kampong. I have to go to Sibu to complete some work due to the slowness of the connection.

I accidentally found out this morning that there is a way to maintain high speed connection - by fixing the network type to 3G only :-) As the 3G signal is not strong in the kampong, the connection will fall to EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) which is very slow, and when the 3G still is getting better, the connection will not be upgraded to 3G anymore. By fixing the network type to 3G prevents the connection to be downgraded to 3G and even with the not-so-strong 3G signal, I managed to browse the internet with quite comfortable speed :-)

With 3G connection, I can work from kampong :-)

HSDPA (3.5G) signal in the kampong - one or two bar signal strength most of the timeFixing the network type to 3G to get continuous high speed connection
To be continued and see you next post :-)

No comments: